Tuesday, August 16, 2011

They Call the thing Rodeo

So I feel that Garth Brooks song "Rodeo" sums up everything I love about the rodeos. . . Bulls, Blood, Dust, Mud, White knuckles, Gold Buckles, Boots, Chaps, Cowboy Hats, Spurs, latigo, Ropes, Rein, Joys, and Pains. This year I have only been to three rodeos. That Famous Preston Night Rodeo, and two nights at the Cache County Rodeo. Let me tell you a couple of things I look forward to at each rodeo.

#1. The cowboy prayer. Each rodeo starts out with a cowboy prayer that the announcers say. Here is a version of the prayer. Every announcer says things just a little different, but I think it is pretty funny.

Our Gracious and Heavenly Father,
We pause in the midst of this festive occasion, mindful and thoughtful of the guidance that you have given us. We would ask today, Lord, that you be with us in this rodeo arena as we pray you will be also with us in life's arena. As cowboys, Lord, we don't ask for any special favors in this arena today. We only ask that you will let us compete in this event, and in life, as You did for us. We don't ask that we never break a barrier, draw the steer that won't lay, draw around a chute fighting horse, or a bull that is impossible to ride. Help us to compete in life as honest as the horse we ride; in a manner as clean and pure as the wind that blows across this Texas country; so when we make that Last Ride, that we know is inevitable, to the Country Up There.. Where the grass is green and lush and stirrup-high and the water runs clean and clear; You will tell us, as our Last Judge, that our entry fee's are paid.


#2 Every Cache County Rodeo, Bart works the Arena between the team roping and barrel racing. I look forward to this every year because they always play the song, "She thinks my tractors sexy" by Kenny Chesney. It is funny because it is not Barts style at all. But the crowd enjoys it, and he can't hear it so we all win. This year, however, they didn't have him work the arena. I was so sad and let down. . . maybe next year?








No comments:

Post a Comment