Friday, September 7, 2012

One of my best Friends

I am ashamed to admit that I have never talked about my Grandma Rasmussen on my blog.  On this day 10 years ago my grandma passed away.  Life hasn't been as much fun without her.  There are a few things that I wanted to mention about my grandma that I still miss to this day. (In no particular order)

1.  Her laugh.  She was always laughing and smiling.  She would always look at things in a positive way.
2.  Quotes.  She had some really funny quotes.  "Go fly a kite" "Home again home again giggity giggity gog" "Arlo, pick up your feet" "I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck"
3.  Her passion for the Piano.  I remember on multiple occasions she would get after me to practice the piano.  She would always get after me to practice the piano before I went out to play with friends.  She is one of the people I credit my piano skills too.  I am grateful that her and my mom pushed me to keep up the piano.
4.  She would always read books to us kids.  Being a teacher, she felt that reading was very important and we would read all the time.  One book I remember reading all the time was "The Poky Little Puppy".
5. Shirley Temple.  We would always watch Shirley Temple movies.  A couple of my favorites where Heidi and Rebecca from Sunnybrook Farm.  My favorite Shirley Temple song was Animal Crackers in my Soup.
6.  Quilts.  We were always making something with Grandma.  This one quilt was probably THE ugliest quilt I have ever made, but I still have it because I made it with Grandma.  It has a black and white checkered top with blue and purple flowers on the bottom.  Grandma always used what she had and at that point, that fabric was all that she had.
7.  Velcro ball and catch game.  We would play this for hours!  She couldn't walk very well so she would sit in her chair and we would throw the ball back and forth.  This is the exact set we had!!!  Good times.
8.  The importance of family.  She was happiest when her family was around her.  We did so much together. I can't even count how many times we would go to her house just to sit on her bed and talk.  She had such great advice for anything we were going through.  Her and Grandpa would even let me sleep between them if I was scared at night when we had sleep overs.
9.  Her testimony.  The gospel was her life.  There wasn't anything she wouldn't do for the Church and everyone around her.  Her example showed me how to be a better person.

Just before she went into surgery, right before she died, she called each of her grandchildren to tell us she loved us.  I remember that phone call.  I was at my aunts house in Salt Lake.  She told me that whatever happened, she would still be with me, that she loved me, and that she knew she was going to see us again whether in this life or the next.


Even though she has been gone 10 years, I still feel her here with me.  I have felt her here in the darkest times of my life and in the happiest.  She was with me when my family moved to Soda Springs.  She was with me when I graduated high school.  She was with me when my heart was broken.  She was with me when I felt worthless.  She was with me when I was at the top of my game and felt I could do anything in the world.  She was there that Christmas when all of us sang her favorite song, "I'll be home for Christmas".  She was with me when I went through the temple for the first time.  I know that she is proud of me and all that I have accomplished.  I miss her and I cannot wait to see her again someday.  I love you Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment