Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bareback Jack Day 2. . .

Alright, so another update on the riding lessons. Getting on the horse was a lot easier this time around. I had no problems at all! Justin led me around for a little bit and we just chatted. I was more comfortable on the horse and therefore, could pay attention to other things. Justin soon realized that I am a little more outspoken when I am doing things that I am nervous about. As we were walking a long he told me that he hardly ever gets teens and adults to do the balancing lesson. They are always too scared and wont do it. He was proud that I got on not once but twice even though it was one of the scariest things I have done. His allergies started kicking up so he handed me the lead rope and said, "hold this for a second." I was like NO FREAKIN WAY!!! I am not on this horse without a supervisor! I can't do this! He said, I am just standing at this gate. It's ok. It will be for just a second. So I am sitting bareback on this horse by myself for the first time. After a min I asked Justin if I could walk the horse around and he said I could if I was comfortable with it. So I started riding the horse bareback by myself!!! It was the most exciting thing ever! There was another horse in this field and she kept walking right next to us so that my leg was squashed in between the two. She was driving me nuts! I would turn my horse in a circle and she'd cut us off! That little brat. At one point she bit my horse and kicked at him. (ultimately making my horse jump and kicking me in the foot.) I tried pushing her away and tapping her lightly with the lead rope to get her away from us. (it didn't work very well) I finally got back to the gate and got off the horse. Justin asked me what I learned that day. I told him the main thing I learned was confidence in myself and the horse. He asked me if he could tell me what he was observing. I of course was ready for constructive criticism. He asked me if I was focusing on my balancing while trying to push the other horse away. I said, "oh crap!" I didn't focus on it at all. He laughed and said that was a good thing. That means that I am more confident in it. I don't have to focus on it as much as I did before. He also said that he let that other horse bug us because he knew I could handle her. Justin is a fantastic teacher not only because he teaches the logistics (which is important) but he also teaches confidence. I love that as I am riding and freaking out that he is telling me everything I am doing right. I love that afterwards he is complimenting me on everything that I accomplished and the progress I made that day. I can't wait for the next lesson!

PS: I will have you know that I walked back to my truck without looking like an old cowboy that just got off a bucking bull!

No comments:

Post a Comment